End-stage cancer that is a category 5 is generally unresponsive to standard therapy and includes metastasis.
1. Clinical findings of malignancy with widespread, aggressive or progressive disease as evidenced by increasing symptoms, worsening lab values and/or evidence of metastatic disease
2. Increased pain and/or symptoms
3. Multiple trips to the hospital for symptom management
4. Multiple calls to the physician’s office to adjust medication for pain management
5. Metastasis and/or stage 3 or 4 cancer
6. Toxicity of treatments outweighs benefits
7. Terminal prognosis with only a few treatments left
8. Curative treatment is ineffective and/or is negatively impacting patient’s quality of life
9. Palliative Performance Scale is equal to or less than 70%
10. Cachexia or weight loss of 5% during the past 3 months
Altus Hospice professionals are available for patient and family consultations at any time. There is absolutely no obligation or charge to the patient. Hospice care is covered by Medicare, Medicaid and most private insurance carriers.