Bereaved loved ones will be contacted by a licensed counselor every month, typically in the form of either a phone call or monthly mailing, or more as needed. Mailings include our Hope For Healing Newsletter, which provides helpful information about the grief experience as well as tips for coping with the loss.
Individual, family and group counseling
Altus Hospice offers complementary individual, family, or group counseling to the friends and families of our patients for up to 13 months following the death of the patient. Counseling is available Monday through Friday, from 8:00am to 8:00pm.
Grief counseling will be unique for each person, as each individual has distinct needs. In the wake of a loss, you may not know where to start. This is normal. Our experienced counselors know how to help and will walk with you in your journey of healing.
Here are some grief-counseling themes they may explore with you:
- Working through anger or guilt that just won’t go away or resolving unfinished business
- Identifying and expressing your emotions
- Memorializing the person who passed, remembering them in special ways
- Answering the important identity question – “Who am I without my loved one?”
- Communicating with family and friends who may not understand your grief or may be grieving differently
- Developing your support system and outlining your support needs
- Learning to take care of your body, mind and spirit
- Learning and applying effective coping techniques and activities to promote peace and healing
- Providing shared grief support with others who have experienced similar loss