Mending Hearts Grief Support Groups
The Mending Hearts Grief Support Group is a six-week, educationally based support group that meets in various locations around the Greater Houston area. These support groups provide a safe place where hurting people can reconcile their losses and find new meaning in life. Support groups have been helpful to the bereaved in a variety of ways:
- Providing emotional and spiritual support in a safe, nonjudgmental environment
- Educating participants about the grief process and effective coping techniques
- Giving opportunities to meet new people with similar experiences, thoughts and feelings
- Preventing the isolation which many experience in this shame-based culture that avoids mourning
- Creating a forum to exchange ideas, knowledge and memories with other members and explore the meaning in life and death
Support for Children and Teens
Individual and group counseling with a licensed social worker is available to children and teens of all ages. Creative activities are often utilized to further engage children, allow them to fully express their grief, and provide them with a greater understanding of their thoughts and emotions. In the near future, Altus Hospice will provide annual Grief Camps for children.
Workshops are available at various times throughout the year to provide education on specific topics, such as Coping During the Holidays, Caregiver Support, Art Therapy, Yoga for Healing, and more.
Annual Butterfly Release/Celebration of Life
Each fall, Altus Hospice hosts a ceremony to honor the lives of lost family, friends, and loved ones. The celebration includes live music, a brief message, the release of hundreds of butterflies, a slideshow, a reception with refreshments, and a dove release at the end.